Business Major Checklist for Success
Set yourself up for success in your future career!
Columbus State's Center for Career Development has many great resources for CSU students at all stages of your college career. Their mission is to serve students as freshmen to seniors by implementing the E-4 Four-Year Plan: Explore, Engage, Experience, and Excel . In addition to following the E-4 Plan, the College of Business has some college specific recommendations for your time at CSU.
- Meet with your advisor every semester during the scheduled advising period. For your freshman and sophomore years, you will be advised in the College of Business Student Services Center located in The Center for Commerce & Technology, room 233. During your junior & senior years, you will be advised by an assigned faculty adviser from your major. This is an opportunity to not only schedule your courses for the following semester, but to get some one-on-one time with a faculty member to discuss any career-related questions. There are also opportunities to have your resume reviewed by our Executive in Residence and participate in mock interviews! To find out more about advising, please visit our advising page.
- Get involved in a College of Business student organization. We have several options for you as a COB student to get involved: Accounting Club, Finance Club, the American Marketing Association, the Society for Human Resources Management, and Beta Gamma Sigma. To find out more, visit the Turner College of Business Student Organizations website.
- Attend special speaker sessions with successful business men and women. Through our Executive Speaker Series, you will have the opportunity to hear local and nationally prominent entrepreneurs and executives. The goal of the series is to expose students to a number of industries and companies as well as present current business issues and strategies. The COB also frequently hosts visiting international faculty members who offer an opportunity to learn about business from an international perspective. Visit our events calendar page to see all of our upcoming events and speakers!
- Go on a College of Business study abroad trip. Study abroad is a great way to step outside of the classroom and apply what you are learning on an international stage. You get the opportunity to gain a first-hand understanding of how businesses operate in the host country, with a comparative study of businesses & culture in Georgia (USA) and the country you will be visiting. The COB offers a study abroad trip every year to locations like South Korea, Spain, Costa Rica, London, Brazil and many other exciting places around the world. For more information, like upcoming trips, courses & scholarships, go to the Study Abroad website.
- Apply for an internship & earn course credit. Internships provide a great opportunity to obtain valuable work experience and establish a relationship with a potential employer. When you complete an internship, you will be able to apply what you are learning in the classroom in a real world setting, all while earning course credit! We have faculty advisers who are dedicated to helping you find the perfect internship for you in the area you hope to have a career. Eligible students must be a senior and have a 3.0 GPA, so keep up the hard work and don't miss out on an opportunity to have the internship of your dreams! For more information, go to the COB internship website. (Juniors with a 3.0 GPA can complete an Internship with the approval of the Department Chair)